Monday, January 21, 2008

New Work


Hi All,
This is another installment in the bondage series. The metal is copper that has been distressed with balsamic vinegar. It is thin and easy to bend into any shape as well as cut with scissors. To get the distressed look, I simple put pieces of the copper that I have already cut into shapes into a zip lock baggie along with balsamic vinegar. I let it soak for a few days, turning it about once a day. It comes out with beautiful colors and patterns on the metal. After washing and drying, I attach it to the canvas with heavy gel medium and let it dry. I then put acrylic texture mediums around it and painted it after drying.
I don't really know what direction my art is heading in right now. I am wanting to work with metal, leather, wire, cords, found objects and just plain old what not! However, I am not sure what forms this will take or where it will lead me. I am feeling drawn to more 3 dimensional work than flat work right now. I suppose that is a natural transition when you get into textures. I am also interested in putting these materials into jewelry. We'll see what happens there.
I am still working on my goals for 2008. Our marketing group, Out of Hand Artists (OoHA) meets tonight to share our goals and help each other achieve them. I'll let you know how it goes.
Peace in 2008
Kelli

3 comments:

Andrea and Kim said...

Kelli, I really like the sculptural aspect here. The copper is exceptionally wonderful with the background! Thank you so much for sharing your process for distressing the copper, too! Quite wonderful.

Keep going with what your heart tells you is the right thing!

Kelli said...

Thanks, Kim. Sometimes I wonder if I should be doing what I am doing and it helps to get positive feed back.

Kelli

Andrea and Kim said...

I totally understand what you mean about getting positive feedback! One of the most difficult things for a creative person is to remember to Trust the Process! Keep working with it!