Thursday, January 21, 2010

Untitled - so far



Remember the Mosaic pieces I showed you a few posts ago? The 2 above are mini versions. These are acrylic on 8x8 canvases. Like the others they are reminiscent of satellite images of earth. Many of my paintings are based on earth images but these last few are including the geometric shapes representing the human element. That's how I see them anyway.
Sometimes I think it's a good idea to just let the paintings be - no explanations, references or titles to lead you into thinking one way or another about the work. If I hadn't said anything about the earth in these pieces, what would you think they are? Would you think they represented something or would you think they were just a non-objective design? Since I did say what they were can you get that out of your head now and put your own idea into it? I used to think calling something "untitled" was a cop out but now I'm not so sure. What's wrong with letting people make up their own minds about it?
Just thinking out loud..... it's a stormy night and the house is quiet - a good night for contemplating.
Peace,
Carlynne

3 comments:

*jean* said...

i love these! they look exactly like the earth from the sky! airplane window views with colors!!! and i love the colors!

Carlynne Hershberger, CPSA said...

thanks Jean, I'm having fun painting these little ones. I'll post more as I get them done.

Teresa Mallen said...

I so love the colours you have used and the shapes! The business about the earth does influence the way I view them but I am okay with that. I love understanding a bit of the process or inspiration that goes into a piece. If you hadn't said anything, I probably would have seen these minis as non-objective designs. With the others, I 'got' the whole earth thing from the air before I read the text. Untitled or not, I simply love your work! :-)