Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Texture


Hi everyone,

This is the first layer of a new canvas. How I wish you could run your hand across it! I get such a kick out of this kind of thing. What you're seeing here is a combination of Cheap Joe's gesso which is nice and thick and holds the knife strokes, tissue paper and those wonderful little circles - spheres actually - are itsy BEAD sies. Have you seen these at the craft stores? When I discovered them I had to buy a couple of bags. I didn't know what I would do with them at the time but I figured if I had them on hand I'd come up with something. They're made out of styrofoam so they're light as air.

The first thing I did was apply some acrylic gel medium to the canvas where I wanted the beads to stick. Then I threw them, yes, I said threw. If you don't throw with some force behind it you'll never get them off your hands. These little things stick to everything! Throwing them also gave them a nice random pattern. Then I glued some crumpled tissue paper on top of some of them (I left a few of them uncovered) and squished it around with more gel medium. Fun. My last step was using a palette knife to spread gesso around the canvas overlapping the tissue and beads here and there. Now all I have left to do is figure out what to do next.

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." - Albert Einstein

Peace,
Carlynne

3 comments:

Robin Pedrero said...

I LIKE this! Just stopping in to see what you two are up to.

I also enjoy the mixed media book. That is right up the alley for a pile of elements I have wanted to create with. Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration.

Robin

Bernie said...

Love what you've achieved here, great use of materials and who would have thought that those little circles were beads?
Fab idea and fx.

Am really enjoying your blog too.

Carlynne Hershberger, CPSA said...

thanks so much, I'm always trying to figure out what else I can glue to a canvas. I've added a thin layer of acrylic to the piece and when I have more on there I'll post it again. It's easier to see the texture then.