Thursday, March 29, 2007

What was I thinking?

Hi Everyone,

Thursday is studio day for Carlynne and I. She called me this morning and asked, " Why is it that one day you can paint and the next day you can't do anything right?" My reply, " I don't know, but if we knew the answer, there are probably a lot of artists out there who would pay to know it."

I went to bed pretty happy about the foreground of the painting I am doing for the workshop Saturday. This morning I looked at it and thought, "What was I thinking?" I had to stop myself from wiping all the paint off the canvas. So the question I add to hers is, "Why can't we be objective about our own work?"

It seems to me the artist's life is full of emotional ups and downs. Everything is going well one minute and the next, everything turns to crap. We must be strong and most of all, not be too hasty to throw it all away, whether it be your painting or your whole career. We frequently tell our students that the piece they are working on is just going through an ugly stage. Things do get better. I am very thankful that I get to do what I do. It is sometimes very hard and sometimes even depressing, but if you truly believe in the work you are doing, good things will happen.


Peace and love,
Kelli

No comments: