Monday, February 21, 2011

Magnolias and monotypes

Magnolia 2
Monotype

Well, I'm lying on the couch with my laptop - actually on my lap and listening to the gurgling of the fish tank. I'm home from work with a miserable head cold so while my head pounds I've been pounding away at the keyboard doing a variety of things. I've been emailing, reading, posting a strange mix of things on Facebook and working on the Etsy shop.

The Magnolia above is one of the new listings on Etsy. I did this piece from a photo I took of a bud on the magnolia tree in my front yard. Sadly, the tree is no more but I have the memories of it saved in the photos and paintings I've done over the years.

Monotypes are a lot of fun to do. For those of you not familiar.... a monotype is a type of original print made by first painting on a smooth, non-absorbent surface such as glass or plexi. Different kinds of paint such as oil or acrylic can be used or you can use printmaking ink. The image is then transferred onto a sheet of paper by pressing the 2 surfaces together. They can be run through a printing press to make the transfer or the back of the paper could simply be rubbed with the back of a wooden spoon. Most or all of the ink/paint is removed in the process so only one print can be made, hence the name - monotype. Kelli and I actually have a small press that we share, and I do mean small, but it hasn't seen the light of day in quite a while. Hopefully we can change that soon. I'd like to do some more with monotypes.

For now I'm going to have to settle for another dose of Ibuprofen, Xango and a nap.
Be well everybody,
Carlynne


No comments: